April 16, 2008

Mid-week musings

I have way too many things on my mind today to write a post about just one thing so instead, I’m going to write a little about everything I’m thinking about:

1. It’s crazy to me how insecurity can creep up on you when you’re not looking and slap you over the head with it’s slimy little hands just when you thought you were perfectly happy just being you. Recently, I got a lesson in confidence from two good friends who happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time. Since then, I’ve been thinking a lot about confidence and what it means to be totally confident in everything about yourself, from your accomplishments to the way you look to the things you feel, and I’m beginning to think it’s actually possible.

2. Marriage, marriage is everywhere, and it makes me all sappy. I just read a MySpace bulletin about a high school friend of mine that’s getting married in Maui next month. On the beach. At sunset. Sounds fantastic. This weekend I’m going to a wedding somewhere outside of Seattle. It’s supposed to be in a castle, and I really can’t wait. I love weddings and all that they represent. I love the dresses and the food and the dancing and the toasts and the rings and the crying moms and the flowers and seeing two people who love each other more than anything stand before their family and friends and vow to be there for each other in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, in times of plenty and in times of want. Sigh. I just love it all. (Told you it makes me sappy.)

3. I really, really want a talking chipmunk. Last night, I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks, and today, I can’t stop thinking about Theodore. His little voice. His big eyes. His little ears that go back when he’s sad or scared. I just wanna squeeeeeeze him! If anyone knows where I can get a fat, cuddly, talking chipmunk to keep as my pet, please let me know!

3 comments:

Kale Iverson said...

Unfortunately domesticating wild vermin in the weasel family has been challenging for most. I have encountered squirrels and chipmunks in the past and find them to be very smelly, enraged little guys, if you happen to catch one be careful! The can leave a nasty bite.

Insecurity is natural, but letting those qualities of yourself that are amazing shine even brighter can help others and even yourself see that you are an amazing person with things to offer people as a friend, colleague and mate.

I can't imagine being married indoors. The world is too beautiful outside to leave it out of the moment. I've attended a few surprise weddings that were amazing! Like they just got everyone together for a "Weekend" somewhere cool and then Kablamo! A pastor pops up like a chipmunk and Zing! There is a marriage on the spot. Doesn't that sound crazy?

You are more organized than me, you have the ability to separate your multiple thoughts instead of rambling incoherent psycho-babble like I tend to do (its fun though). I applaud you for that...uh oh my own insecurity just showed up...

Is it warm there? I need some Cali vibes up here (still below zero) ech!

Anonymous said...

I met a woman in Toronto who owns a vintage store. She sells gowns worn at the Oscar's in the 60's and jewerly that's featured in photo shoots. She owned herself and beemed with satisfaction. I imagine she always considers herself remarkable. Her confidence oozed out of her and for a short while attached itself to me. I then came home and my ugly, sad, hateful insecurities unleashed themselves on my love. I dream of the day when I will walk with head held high almost giggling with glee at how fabulous I am.

(Sadly, my memories of breakfast in canada have been replaced with the Blue Banana Market and delicious dessert 1,151 miles above the earth. Alas, I will sign a new name from here on out).

Charisse said...

i'm so sad that you changed your name and outdid our breakfast in canada!! but oh well, i suppose that's the purpose of life, making bigger and better memories everyday! :)