January 2, 2009

Snow Day

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope your 2009s are moving along splendidly. I know mine is. As I write this, I’m sitting at the dinner table in a warm and cozy farmhouse in Fairfield, WA, completely snowed in and not one bit upset about it. The pellet stove is chugging away, the steaks are on the grill (yes, we’re grilling in 20 degree weather) and I’ve got my choice of four cats and four dogs to play with. To say I’m happy as a clam would be an understatement.

Being snowed in means football-watching and nap-taking, game-playing and popcorn-popping, snowman-making and beer-sipping. It also means you can get people to do things they wouldn’t normally do, like play Dance Dance Revolution until their legs fall off, watch reruns of The Real Housewives of Orange County and mix up fancy drinks with secret ingredients.

In two short days I’ll be back in the land of sunny and 72, but until then, I’ll be here, by the fire, with a cat on my lap and a drink in my hand, enjoying my own little snow day and wishing you all a very, very happy new year.

No comments: