March 1, 2010

DIY Weekend

Saturday was rainy and cold in Santa Monica, which made it easy to stay inside and get crafty. After a quick trip to my local craft store, I set out to make my own Fabric Poms using the tutorial found here, and I'm happy to report that my first attempt turned out even better than I had imagined.

I cut circles out of the fabric using a drinking glass as a stencil. For the base, I used a medium-sized styrofoam ball. Since I used a hot glue gun to glue the fabric to the ball, I set the glue gun on the lowest setting to prevent the glue from melting the styrofoam (even though it still melts it a tad).

All in all, from the cutting to the gluing, it took me about an hour and a half and a quarter of a yard of fabric to complete my first pom. (I'm sure it'll get easier once I get used to making them.)

I plan to tie ribbons to these so my bridesmaids and I can carry them down the aisle in place of real flowers. What do you think?

No comments: