May 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Brianne!

Today I'd like to wish a very happy birthday to my sister and bestest friend in the whole wide world!

And in case you're wondering, my surprise decorations were a hit.

So was my surprise Southern Comfort Cake (recipe below). Not only was this my first attempt at Southern Comfort Cake, but it was also my first ever bundt cake, and I'm proud to say it came out perfectly.

More festivities are in store for tonight, including a trip to Brianne's favorite Mexican food joint for enchiladas and margaritas, followed by presents, candles and cake.

What can I say, I love birthdays.

Southern Comfort Cake

Cake Ingredients:
1 (18-1/2 oz.) box yellow cake mix
1 (3-1/4 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup Southern Comfort
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

Glaze Ingredients:
4 tbsp. butter
1/8 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Southern Comfort

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Combine cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat at a medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube or 12-cup bundt pan. Bake at 325ºF for 1 hour. Cool on rack. To make glaze, melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in Southern Comfort. Invert cake on serving plate; prick top and drizzle half of glaze evenly over top and sides. After cake has cooled, reheat remainder of glaze and brush evenly over cake. Dust with sifted powdered sugar just before serving. Serves 12.

No comments: